Here at Heaton Mersey, your orthodontists local to Manchester and Stockport, we carry out Invisalign treatment on our patients on a regular basis, and are always as delighted as they are with their spectacular new smiles.
Sometimes, we’re asked about the risks and limitations of Invisalign treatment. In this post, we’ll do our utmost to highlight exactly what you can expect from your new braces and anything else you need to know in order to make an informed decision.
Risks of Invisalign
Invisalign treatment in itself isn’t risky – in fact, it can have hugely positive benefits for your oral health, especially if your smile makes it difficult to effectively clean between your teeth. However, there are some things you need to be aware of:
– Damaged/misplaced aligners – although you can order replacements, or even switch to an older set if broken, doing so could disrupt your treatment.
– Discomfort may be experienced – Invisalign isn’t known for being painful – in fact, it’s considered an extremely comfortable and effective alternative to traditional braces, especially as no wires or brackets are used. However, there can be a feeling of tightness or pressure when changing aligners.
– Possibility of TMD – otherwise known as jaw, ear or headache pain, there is a greater risk of this developing with any kind of brace (not just Invisalign).
Limitations of Invisalign
There are some cases where Invisalign may not be recommended for you.
– Not effective on restorative work – it may be the case that you’ve had past crowns, veneers, fillings, dental implants or other restorations. If this is the case, Invisalign may not be advised.
– Possible (partial) regression of teeth – if you don’t wear retainers after your treatment, your teeth may move from their new positions.
– Can’t change tooth shape – this type of work is more the remit of crowns, veneers, composite bonding and other treatment methods.
– Some patients aren’t eligible – certain tooth types may not be suited to treatment, for instance short, rounded or pegged teeth.
Benefits of Invisalign
There’s lots to love about Invisalign – and little in the way of risks and
limitations, as we’ve discussed. Here are our favourite features:
– Clear for discreet treatment
– Comfortable on teeth, with minimal pressure
– Replaceable if lost or broken
– Removable for eating and dental routine
– Eat any diet or food you choose
– Potential benefits to oral health
– No wires or brackets
Book your Invisalign treatment today
At our orthodontists, local to Stockport and Manchester, we’d love to help you on your way to straighter teeth. Get in touch with our team to find out more.